Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Cheshire Cat Socks


"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to walk from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't care much where -----" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you walk," said the Cat.
"----so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
Alice felt that this could not be denied, so she tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In that direction," the Cat said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Hatter; and in that direction," waving the other paw, "lives a March Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

-Lewis Carroll
Here is the Shetland lace pattern that I modified to make 5 holes so it looks like a cat's paw print. It starts at the toe and creeps up the foot and leg and around the ankle.


Picot bind off on the cuff because "it looks pretty" and it looks like a crown on the top. 




So I finally finished up these socks! I am pleased with the design and the colors, but I kept putting them off because I wasn't pleased with the yarn. It was too splitty and took lots of tension-correction, and feels like really dry cotton. I'm going to find someone to do a custom "Cheshire Cat" colorway for me so I can knit up some more in some yummy yarn. And I will be making an adult pair! These are being worn by my 4 year old right now. Pattern will be available soon. I plan on doing some toddler/kids sizes and then adult. It's very simple and knits up very fast. 

Perhaps after this next project, I will do some more from Alice in Wonderland. Queen of Hearts socks, White Rabbit, etc. Hmmm. 

3 comments:

Summer said...

oooh..I love them, and Willow would love them even more! You have done a fantastic job and the colors are perfect!

Eln (http://elnwenanimaux.canalblog.com) said...

Your socks are great ! I love the cat's paw print :o)

Christina said...

Summer, I'm going to figure out a slightly bigger size and I'll post that pattern (should fit Willow).

And Eln, thanks! We only have one more week to tear open the yarn packages ;)